5 Things which I do before a performance
Whenever I perform, I like to focus on three things: me, the audience and my voice. The things which I do to make sure all these go hand in hand are as follows.
1. I warm up my vocal cords, I have a series of 10 exercises which I do. I always make it a point to warm up which also helps me hit the right notes and pronounce the syllables well. It’s a funny set of things which sounds animal-like but trust me it is really helpful and a great way to prep up!
2. Second thing is that I always do stretches. I don’t always get all the pretty shoes in flats and while performing on stage I Switch on to a full energy mode where I am jumping and going with the flow with beats as fast as 145 BPM..! Hence I take this as a necessary precaution as I have had a previous injury where I had sprained my back then I was uncomfortable amidst the whole performance. So, if nothing three nice and long Surya Namaskar and stretching is a must!
3. Third thing is that I have something warm for my throat, I usually take hot water and tea with lots of honey in it, it is also a good sugar rush to keep you happy and honey is totally good for your health as well.
4. Fourth is that I always pray before a performance, its like a me time between me and god, post which even the musicians come together and pray where we say that these moments on the stage will never be back again, therefore, bless us to live every moment to the fullest and always a personal note to me which never changes is that I pray to bring happiness to all the people who are right in front of me. All this with a Big Smile.
5. The last but not the least, wardrobe and makeup check is a big tick on my checklist. A quick check and fix is the mantra which I always believe. My head to toe should look perfect in the mirror because if you are not comfortable in your own skin, you may not present your best to your audience, as they might see your distress or that something which could bother you and take away from your performance. So a quick look in the mirror never harms anyone.